Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What I'm reading

I've been reading quite a few interesting books, they're all non-fiction. I am not a huge non-fiction person, but these are pretty riveting. Considering how I am hooked to health and natural food blogs, and books, I should consider if there's a career opportunity for me there.

So here's the list:
Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan. I luhuv his books. Annie's Annuals recently named a tomato after him :o)

Clean Food by Terry Walters What an amazing find. I am so going to buy this one. Within the first 20 pages, I learnt about so many new vegetables and grains, and more importantly, how to cook grains. Did you know most of the grains (brown rice for instance) contain phytic acid, which is harmful for the body. The acid can be washed away if you soak the brown rice in water for at least an hour, and/or by cooking the rice with a piece of Kombu. Kombu, nice to meet you!

Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. Ok, it's been about 3-4 months that I've been reading this. It's over 600 pages, and I only read it while I'm on the elliptical. It's riveting, no really!

I also read 2 not so riveting books, Up in the Air by Walter Kirn (yes, as in the movie of the same name) and A Good Talk: The Story and Skill of Conversation (I had to return it to the library before I could finish the last 20 or so pages. But I was so done with it!)
Up in the Air is written in an interesting style, fast paced, witty! I couldn't relate to the protagonist's character though!
Good Talk, was such a bore. I don't remember a single tip on what skill to acquire to carry out a good conversation.

Until the next time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment